Saskia Schwarzer| Manager, Relocation & Business Development
Considered energy concepts
Vattenfall operates a state-of-the-art power plant in Region Leipzig.
Renowned companies from the energy and environmental sector are headquartered in Region Leipzig. This includes Verbundnetz Gas AG, the company with the highest revenue in eastern Germany, as well as the European Energy Exchange. VNG is a gas importer and wholesaler that has also acquired licences for oil and gas extraction on the Norwegian continental shelf and the Danish Sea in recent years. The EEX has developed into one of Europe's largest energy exchanges and trades forward contracts for electricity as well as gas contracts and CO2 certificates.
The Stadtwerke Leipzig public utility company is committed to modern energy supply in the region.
Leipzig is also home to the headquarters of the listed biofuel producer Verbio AG. The portfolio is complemented by important service providers such as the consultancy firm Energy2market and open-cast mining company Bergbaukonzern Mibrag in South Leipzig. The public utilities group is a considerable economic power too, with revenue of over 4 billion euro.
The German Biomass Research Centre based in Leipzig is opening up future opportunities for the large-scale use of biomass for a secure energy supply. At the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research, teams of researchers are working on complex environmental situations. The processes that they develop are then made available for practical implementation worldwide via technology transfer.
The area of energy and environmental technology provides investors with a broad range of opportunities in Region Leipzig. Since 2010 Region Leipzig has been a model region for electromobility. LVB, Leipzig's public transport operators, and other municipal companies use large fleets of electric and hybrid vehicles during everyday business activities. These demonstrate the practicality of the new drive technologies and provide valuable findings for the mobility of the future in cooperation with renowned science and research institutes. Since 2012, a showcase project in Bavaria/Saxony has been giving an insight into the future prospects for electromobility. Region Leipzig is making valuable contributions.
Sector focal points
- Wholesale trade in strategic energy sources as part of an integrated European strategy (VNG) and on European trading platforms (EEX)
- Lignite-based electricity production using the latest technology, a high level of environmental compatibility and efficiency of over 40 percent – the highest anywhere in the world (Vattenfall Power Plant Lippendorf, in operation since 2000)
- Several large-scale photovoltaics plants, including Brandis (Leipzig District), the largest of its kind in the world
- Production of fuels from renewable resources (Verbio AG)
- Cutting-edge research in the area of biomass
- Internationally recognised and practical cutting-edge research in the areas of mine site rehabilitation and water pollution control and rehabilitation; biosphere research; linking ecological and urban ecology aspects (Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research – UFZ)
- Modern courses focussing on the energy industry at the University of Leipzig as well as the Leipzig University of Applied Sciences (HTWK)
- Knowledge transfer from science to business, e.g. through the Forschungs- und Transferzentrum Leipzig e.V.